Sunday, February 15, 2009

S.O.S. E-mail re: Ice Storm 2009

I am happy to report that the Salvation Army is still feeding us. Here is a copy of the "S.O.S" e-mail I sent last week to family and friends. Perhaps you can help too:

Hello, Everyone,

I'm sending this general e-mail to let you know about the big ice storm of 2009 that devastated this area two weeks ago. I am without power and have been since the wee hours of 27 January. So is everyone else here, unless they have a generator. We hope we will have electricity early next week.

Senath-Hornersville schools opened on the 11th. They have generators and have cleaned the debris from the school grounds. Kennett schools may open tomorrow, 16th.

I rented a laptop Saturday, hence I can send this e-mail. You can read more about my adventures on my "Boggling the Mind" Blog as
I hope to continue to post there.

You can see pictures of the impact to the area sent by viewers of KAIT-TV in Jonesboro, AR, (http://www.kait8.com/). I took pictures but because I am without electricity, I can't post them. Links to local newspapers are on my Hornersville Page (http://mimifink.virtualave.net/Hornersville.html)

However, the purpose of this e-mail is to tell everyone about the way the people in the southernmost counties of Missouri have stepped up to the challenge. Everyone is helping each other and those who may not be able to help even themselves.

We were both blessed and cursed by this storm. We were blessed because, despite the massive damage to trees, there has been very little structural damage, lose of lives, or personal property. However, because FEMA bases its emergency assistance primarily upon those criteria, small towns like mine will receive the minimum of assistance because of little structual damage.

I want to tell you that this ice storm has really impacted the finances of small towns, and it has hit my hometown hard. Therefore, donaions to help cover the cost of the massive cleanup, food and shelter for some residents (especially the elderly and shutins), are needed and will be greatly appreciated.

All the above is being done in the Community Center. The roof has been patched, but it still leaks in placed. It has needed replacing for over three years. The citizens have been raising money, but it needs to be fixed now.

I plan to start posting on my "Mimi at the Movies" Blog as soon as I have a place to charge the laptop other than when I am in the car.

May God bless you and yours,

Mimi

No comments: